Thursday, September 19, 2013

Tribalism Part II: Extroverts vs. Introverts

        It is a little problematic to fully fit introversion and extroversion into the realm of tribalism as I described it in my last post, but in a culture that values extroversion over introversion, there is a bit of warfare that goes on.  As I talked about in my last post, tribes typically use their language’s word for “people” to describe themselves, and an epithet like “eaters of meat” to describe another tribe.  Similarly, in our culture we refer to extroverts as OUTGOING, which has a very positive ring to it, while referring to introverts as “shy.”  It is pretty clear just by the use of those terms which tribe is dominant in our western culture.
        I belong to the less dominant tribe and have suffered from the tribal warfare.  When I was little, there was one thing in life I could count on more than anything else.  When I met someone new, they were pretty much guaranteed to call me shy.  They weren’t the only ones of course.  Everyone called me shy.  I tried so hard to rise above that label.  Sometimes I would meet new people and I would try so hard to prove to them that I was not shy.  But the inevitable always came out of their mouth: “You are so shy!”  I wasn’t being shy!  Do you know how much I was putting myself out there?
        I learned how to act “outgoing.”  I read self-help books on speaking and I practiced hard.  It’s been at least ten years since I’ve heard myself reduced to the term shy.  But now the cycle starts all over again.  It barely takes seconds for a new person to take the intricate and complex beings that are my children, and reduce them to one flat character trait.  “Oh you’re shy.”
         I worry about kids who are growing up with the idea that they have to change who they are to fit the world’s criteria for acceptance.  I know the great complexity of my kids’ souls.  I know them inside and out.  So when I hear people make snap judgments about them and instantly reduce them to one label that is supposed to sum them up, I want to scream at them.  You don’t know her!  How can you make the slightest judgment about who she is?  That is the problem with snap judgments and labels.  These labels can’t even begin to describe the complex beings we are.           
         There are as many different ways to be shy as there are people to act shy.  Shyness itself isn’t even a character trait.  It’s a reaction in the amygdala, the fight or flight area of our brains, to new and uncertain stimuli.  People who are more sensitive or high reactive will have stronger reactions in their amygdala.  “Shy” is a horrible word to use because it oversimplifies the complexities of the human brain.  Introvert and extrovert is a better comparison, but as I mentioned before our society values extroversion over introversion.  Here’s the problem with that: introversion is not all bad and extroversion is not all good.  It is not better to be an extrovert or an “outgoing” person. 
        Both personality types have their good points and their bad points.   For someone who struggles with shyness, it is hard to battle the physiological challenges that arise when you have to get out of your comfort zone and speak to people.  But the sensitivity and ability to observe that introverts have opens up a world to them that extroverts sometimes struggle to see.  It can be hard for an extrovert to open up the part of his/her mind that can see the big picture and notice all the little details as well.  Sometimes empathy doesn’t come as easily.  But extroverts are amazing at being able to speak and win people over and radiate friendliness.  It’s no wonder we value extroversion.  But we need both personalities.  Like the yin and the yang, they are complimentary and they complete our world.
        So in my experience, tribal warfare between introverts and extroverts in the western culture mostly looks like extroverts setting the stage and the rules, expecting introverts to adapt.  The problem with this is that it will only leave us off-balanced.   If you want to see how the world might look without a healthy balance of introversion and extroversion, look at congress.  Our political system is set up in such a way that introverts don’t make it very well.  And we all know how functional congress is.  We don’t need introverts to become extroverts.  We need to value both and allow space for both to be who they are, to overcome the struggles they do have, and most importantly to work together to make the world better.
        If you are interested in this subject, there is a great book called “Quiet,” by Susan Cain.  I highly recommend it.    

        Next tribes:  feminists vs. non-feminists

4 comments:

  1. Quiet is a good book. Susan Cain does a good job of separating out shyness from introversion. One of the more interesting points to me is seeing introversion/extroversion as a function of tolerance to external stimulation. Sitting alone thinking is a very low amount of stimulation, while being at a club with blaring music and dancing is a very high amount of stimulation.

    I find that to be a very useful lens in looking at the strengths of each side. Introverts do well in situations that call for reflection and a piecing together more involved, lengthy thoughts. Extroverts do well interacting with the crazy situations that the world throws at us with enthusiasm and skill. Naturally, none of us are 100% of one or the other, but it's a meaningful distinction.

    I fall squarely into the introvert camp as well. I would also call myself shy. It's very difficult for me to deal with people well, and it's something I have to work on constantly. It can be very frustrating.

    I agree that there's a lot of pressure for people to be outgoing in the US. I've been lucky enough to find a job that values my skills and provides a culture that works for me. I have entire days to myself to work without needing to interact with other people. It's wonderful. I would not be productive if put into the kind of environment where there are no cubicles, walls, or other barriers to privacy. It stuns me that people would think that putting an introvert in that kind of situation would be a good idea. I would wither.

    It's a good thing that people listen to others, and this is a good example. I think it's doubly hard when a person's attributes go against the cultural ideal. This also applies to any other cultural minority group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am a little bothered by this post because I have never in my life felt like there was a tribalistic/us/them distinction to be made between introverts and extroverts. This post assumes that all extroverts want introverts to change and be like them, but I don't think that's true. In fact, a lot of extroverts don't connect well to other extroverts because they both want to talk at the same time. We need each other, and I think we all understand that. I don't know why I am so defensive, but, as an outgoing person, I feel like I have just been accused of oppressing "shy" people my whole life, when I really loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jake and Chanel for your thoughts. Chanel, like I said, combining this issue with my tribal series is a little problematic. I don’t think the warfare exists on a personal level and there definitely is not the same type of hate that can exist in tribalism. The thing that made the connection for me was the use of tribalistic language in our culture (outgoing/shy). On a personal level, I realize that extroverts and introverts are drawn to each other. I love to be around extroverts because they make conversation easy for me. I was really meaning to keep this only on a cultural level. If I lived in the Eastern world, my experience would be completely different because those cultures tend to value introversion over extroversion.
    I also realize that introverts are not all the same and extroverts are not all the same, as Jake said. Take my husband and me for example. We are both introverts, yet I love to talk to other people and I could do it for hours, while he would much rather be alone, not socializing with other people. I am horrible at public speaking, especially when I actually have to use my brain at the same time, but he thrives on it and he makes a great litigator (something that I think would really kill me if I tried). My main point, and maybe I didn’t quite get there with this post (thank goodness for the comment section right?) was that we don’t need to clump people into these two different groups. We can value the individual over the group. I think that begins with eliminating our tribalistic language. Instead of calling each other outgoing or shy, we could try to understand each other on a deeper level. The us/them mentality begins with the language that we use to describe us and them.
    I would never accuse you or any other extrovert of oppressing introverts. I think the oppression has come from a culture that is centered around the talents of extroverts due in part to the capitalist nature of our society. In the eighteen-hundreds, introverts felt no need to change themselves because their environment fit perfectly with their personalities. But advertising and a sales boom changed that environment. Susan Cain goes into the whole history of it and it is fascinating. In my experience, it is the culture that makes introverts feel that they have to overcome their introversion and become extroverts. I don't know any extroverts that hate being called "outgoing," but I know many introverts who hate being called "shy." I hope that clarifies the point I am trying to make. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete