Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Wheels on the Bus

      
This post was inspired by singing The Wheels on the Bus with my kids. I had no idea what a controversial song it is. 

I started to sing the version I grew up with, adding a few verses I’ve learned as an adult. “The Daddies on the bus say ‘Knock it off—‘”

“No Mommy,” says my pre-schooler, “It’s not the Daddy who says that, it’s the teacher.”

“Okay, let’s try this verse: The driver on the bus says, ‘Ticket please—“

“No,” he interrupts again. “The driver says, ‘Move on back.’”

The song continues on. My kids don’t like the verse about mommy saying “Shhh shhh shhh.” My daughter doesn’t like the verse about the dog on the bus because her nursery teacher doesn’t sing about a dog. My son thinks I’m silly because dogs don’t ride on busses. I’m beginning to see his logic and wonder why I’ve spent my whole life singing about a dog on a bus when dogs really don’t ride on busses.

We’re finally at the end. I’ve sung all the verses I know, adding and changing to fit the ones my kid’s teachers sing. “What about the money Mommy?”

I let out a sigh. “What money sweetheart?”

“The money on the bus?”

“Okay what does the money do?”

“It goes plink plink plink.”

So I sing one more verse about money going plink plink plink. What can I say? We are a multi-verse Wheels on the Bus singing family.

Silly right, the Wheels on the Bus song being so controversial? But isn’t that how controversial topics are? Silly. I was taught something my way. You were taught something your way. So which way is right? It’s easy to put up barriers that leave us unable to see other ways of looking at things. I could have told my kids, “This is the way I learned it so this is the way we are going to sing it.”

What good would that have done? I doubt we would have gotten through the whole song. My kid’s perspectives would have been tossed out, unvalued. And I would not have seen the error of my ways in singing about a dog on a bus. Instead we sang the longest version of the song I have ever sung, we had fun discovering new things about this bus together, and I came away with a greater vision of what this bus really entails.

Oh how much we could learn from each other if we just pulled down our barriers and tried to understand each other from another perspective. One night my husband and I were debating over the origins of oil. He thought oil came from old dinosaur remains and I thought oil came from the earth’s core. Where these ideas came from, it was hard to pinpoint. Turns out…we were both right…and wrong. We must have been taught competing theories in school. He had been taught that oil comes from ancient waste materials under the earth’s crust. I was taught a theory that is not commonly accepted now, that petroleum comes from carbon-bearing fluids that migrate upward from the earth’s mantle. In our young, imaginative minds, those theories were watered down to dinosaurs vs. earth’s core. It took friction between the opposing thoughts (along with our google search engine) to create greater understanding.

So why do we try so hard sometimes to keep our perspective in a safe place, free from the taint of another’s opposing perspective? In psychology, the term for these opposing thoughts that threaten our current belief patterns is cognitive dissonance. It is painful to experience cognitive dissonance so we have mechanisms to avoid it. As humans, we like order. Through language and other means, our minds make sense of the world around us and try to preserve order by avoiding opposing thoughts that will cause chaos. Some of these mechanisms include only listening to what you want to hear, avoiding uncomfortable conversations altogether, and rationalizing away thoughts that oppose your own beliefs. Another option is to face the opposing information head on, and let your original beliefs change as they need to. By coming through that cognitive dissonance to the other side we come to see a beautiful world beyond the one that our brains have created for us. Enlightenment can come as much through unlearning as it does through learning.

I just read an eye-opening book by Jung Chang called, “Wild Swans.” In it, she talks about what it was like to grow up in communist China, thinking Mao Zedong (one of the most evil men who ever lived) was basically God. He was deified by propaganda and the whole country loved him. She was told by her parents to eat all her food because she should be grateful to live under communism. “Just think about those poor children in the capitalist world who are starving.” Funny, I’ve said something similar to my own children. I will think twice next time I make a statement like that. The cognitive dissonance that Jung Chang experienced as she grew up and realized that Mao was not God and that he was actually an evil dictator, was painful and difficult. Her world was turned upside down and she had to make sense of everything again, including living in a western country where she had always believed life was hellish compared to communist run countries.

I don’t like the pain of wrestling with cognitive dissonance. It leaves me feeling like the floor has been pulled out from underneath me. My stomach gets tied in knots and I feel like I can’t see straight. But I have seen the beauty beyond the pain. There is a rich world out there full of multiple perspectives. I want to spend my time learning from them rather than arguing the rightness or wrongness of them. The only person I can prove right or wrong is myself. I’m wrong if I keep singing the way I’ve always sung just because it’s the way I’ve always sung it.

So I am interested in hearing about moments of cognitive dissonance that you have experienced. Sometimes they are funny like my kids with the Wheels on the Bus song or my husband and I with the origins of oil. Sometimes they are painful like Jung Chang’s experience. Feel free to leave a comment and share your experience with cognitive dissonance.

4 comments:

  1. I think that using kids is a good place to start. I don't have any of my own, but I once was one. The first experience I had with cognitive dissonance was in disagreeing with my parents. It started small and shallow, with simply disagreeing with them on things such as the song lyrics, but that didn't have much weight to it at the time. It didn't have much weight to it because I simply assumed that I was right. It's so easy to do that as a kid! It's hard to pinpoint when I truly realized that I had been wrong about something. All I know is that the magnitude of those realizations slowly grew over time as I developed mentally and morally.

    A crisis of faith is a different matter altogether. It is gut wrenchingly difficult to be faced with the prospect that one or more of your most core beliefs could be wrong. It's a profoundly lonely and painful place to be because you are forced to come to your own conclusions alone. It resonates with me when you describe the feeling in physical terms because it does have a physical aspect to it. Your example of "Wild Swans" is good. It's good to hear that others have felt similarly to us. I think that's an essential feature of our humanity.

    I have found that trying to stay detached long enough to understand another person's perspective is a good skill. I try to stay at it until I can explain what the person believes back to them in a way they fully agree with. Only then do I try to digest the information. It can be like jumping into a freezing lake once I allow my own judgments to start working on what I've heard. It's challenging to do, but it's a good ideal that I try to live up to.

    I've just come to the conclusion that I'm wrong about a lot of what I currently believe. I'd rather think of it as an exciting challenge to root out what's wrong about my beliefs because it's less painful than the alternatives. :)

    Just some thoughts. Thanks for the article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts Jake. You are absolutely right about faith crisis. I think that has to be one of the most painful forms of cognitive dissonance. And I am finding that it is so universal, in that people from all religions experience it. The loneliness is the worst part, especially because you can't explain a faith transition to anyone. Like you said, you are forced to come to conclusions on your own, and in a way, you have to rebuild a construct for your beliefs without the help of an existing religious structure, and in some cases, without the help of a community.
    I like your idea of trying to stay detached long enough to understand another person's perspective perfectly. That is a really hard skill to learn. Great thoughts!
    I listened to an amazing podcast on faith crisis a little while ago. It comes from a Mormon perspective since that is my religious language. Here is the link if anyone is interested in listening. It is long, but well worth listening to.
    http://mormonmatters.org/2012/01/26/71-make-love-and-war-maintaining-positive-relationships-during-faith-transitions%E2%80%94a-spiritual-framing/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's interesting that you've found that the experience is so universal. That's not entirely surprising since I don't think that any tradition has all the elements that can satisfy every individual within it. On the other hand, most people die in the tradition that they were born into. I don't think it's very common for people to really go to the brink in questioning their tradition though.

      That was a really wonderful podcast. It felt really personal. I think the honesty of how it feels doubt and struggle with things is something that is sorely lacking among many people who haven't dealt with it. There really is an "other side" as he described, and the language he uses to describe it felt sincere and accurate.

      Another part of it that stuck with me was that Jacob walked away from the encounters with Esau with a limp. His whole talk was full of good metaphors that struck me as in line with my own experiences.

      Thank you for sharing! It really was worth the listen.

      Delete
    2. I do think it is universal, but like you said, not extremely common. I do think though that there is a gravitational pull on humanity in general, to leave Plato’s cave. It’s just so hard because of the cognitive dissonance. It’s in our nature to do anything we can to avoid pain. That was my favorite part about the podcast. I remember reading the cave analogy in college, but it meant nothing to me then. Now it is everything to me because it is my experience. I feel like I’ve left my dark cave where fake shadows were cast on the wall representing things that exist in the real world. I’ve had to adjust to the light and I have no words to express what I see because it’s not the world I am used to. I want to share that world with others, but it is scary and uncomfortable for them to think about. I understand that completely because I was there. But now I’m here and I can’t go back to my cave.
      I also think that faith crisis comes to people in different ways. It’s a very personal experience. My experience has brought me to a greater place of love and compassion, but I don’t think it is like that for everyone. I have chosen to continue trying to remain part of the faith I was born to and to raise my kids in it, but it is a battle every Sunday. It’s really hard for me to share this, and especially in a public way. But I am glad you shared some of your experience, and you are right about the lack of honesty about doubt and struggle. I think religious people try so hard to have all the answers that it is hard for anyone to admit that they don’t. Sometimes when I feel like giving up, I have to remind myself that it is a faith “transition.” I haven’t lost my faith. It’s just changing and growing, as it should be. There would be no point to my life if I had simply been born with all the answers. I'm with you in being wrong about a lot of things and finding it an exciting challenge to relieve myself of those things that are wrong in my belief system.
      Here is a Wikipedia synopsis about Plato’s cave for anyone who is unfamiliar with it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato%27s_cave

      Delete